Some features of XMPP
Hello guys, Welcome back to another exciting blog post on this blog. I hope after reading this post, you will be very excited to work in the field XMPP. Long ago developers used a lot of their important time to write the chatting applications. That was the time when they used the HTTP protocol to write those apps. But the time had changed for good and we found something good as the alternative known as XMPP. XMPP stands for “Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol”. As the name suggests, it is the protocol that is used to make the chatting applications. The protocol makes it so easy to create a chatting application. In XMPP all the features are divided into XEP’s. I don’t know the full form of this and I am very lazy to type it in the GOOGLE. But I am sure if you want to you can google it. For example, if you want to implement a chatting application with a feature of Multiple Users in a room( Modern day applications call them groups) then you can find a page on the XMPP website and you can open the page. xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html. For every small feature that you can think of is given a name and a number in the XMPP. When you go through these pages you will learn the way in which the chatting applications works. I can write the whole specs about the XMPP up here. But, I am sure that I will not be able to explain as well as this great developer JACK MOFFITT did in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WktC6vc4WQs&t=1221s Jack Moffitt also wrote the book on XMPP which is a great read. If you want it you buy it on the amazon. I will sum up some of the basic things discussed by the developer in the video. I have not explained about the concepts like long polling and some more as the video explains it all. In XMPP the connection is made with the help of JID and a password.
- JID are divided into two categories, bare JID and full JID.
- Full JID is like [email protected]/library.
- Bare JID is like [email protected]
- Messaging is done with the help of stanzas. Stanzas are the basic sending and receiving method in the case of the XMPP. If you want to know something about a JID on the network send a stanza to the server and server will respond with the answer.
- Stanzas are divided into three parts on the basic level. These are:
- Chatting is a two-way process. It includes the message to be transferred from the client to the server and server sending back the response. So this set of XML is known as a stream.
Did you enjoy reading or think it can be improved? Don’t forget to leave your thoughts in the comments section below! If you liked this article, please share it with your friends, and read a few more!